TOO. MUCH. INSPIRATION.
Monday, May 10, 2010 9:15 AM
I just unsubscribed from every photography blog on my reader.
(that's 24).
It is a collection I have built up over the past few years. These blogs have been some of my greatest inspirations, sources of knowledge and new things. They have helped me mold my business, learn new techniques, interact with clients and really shape my over-all view of what it means to be a "professional".
But lately I have been feeling overwhelmed by this "mold" that I have in my head of what I'm supposed to fit into. What my photography should look like, what I should/should not offer my clients. I have stopped thinking and feeling all together. My instincts have been worn down and I now make decisions based on whether or not it fits into this mold. And I hate it.
There are a million different possibilities and new things I could do with my business. But I have been hindering myself by thinking of the mold first. Thinking about the trends, all the other photographers and what is popular. And I want to stop. I want to draw inspiration from myself, as silly as that sounds. I want to look through the view finder and snap away on my own instinct and creativity, just like I did when I was 14. I never compared myself to other photograher's work or photographed what I thought was "popular".
So today I am breaking the mold and unsunscribing from my daily source of "inspiration" and will instead stay inwardly focused. Listening to my own thoughts and what I want, and seeing the world in a different way, my way.
(that's 24).
It is a collection I have built up over the past few years. These blogs have been some of my greatest inspirations, sources of knowledge and new things. They have helped me mold my business, learn new techniques, interact with clients and really shape my over-all view of what it means to be a "professional".
But lately I have been feeling overwhelmed by this "mold" that I have in my head of what I'm supposed to fit into. What my photography should look like, what I should/should not offer my clients. I have stopped thinking and feeling all together. My instincts have been worn down and I now make decisions based on whether or not it fits into this mold. And I hate it.
There are a million different possibilities and new things I could do with my business. But I have been hindering myself by thinking of the mold first. Thinking about the trends, all the other photographers and what is popular. And I want to stop. I want to draw inspiration from myself, as silly as that sounds. I want to look through the view finder and snap away on my own instinct and creativity, just like I did when I was 14. I never compared myself to other photograher's work or photographed what I thought was "popular".
So today I am breaking the mold and unsunscribing from my daily source of "inspiration" and will instead stay inwardly focused. Listening to my own thoughts and what I want, and seeing the world in a different way, my way.