talent.
Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:14 PM
I've never really had a niche or a talent.
My mom might say that I was always a good reader and some people have told me that I have a pretty singing voice. I played soccer for eight years and I studied a lot about computer's in Jr. High. But I've never had a really great, stand out talent, and it has always made me feel pretty plain.
But then, about three years ago, I got my first digital camera. A Canon Rebel XT, a pretty nice camera for a 16 year old. I had always loved taking pictures of people and things, and even pre-visualized creative images in my head. So I started taking a lot of pictures... and I started getting a lot of compliments. I still never considered it a natural "talent". Even to this day, I feel like my photo's are always a lot of luck, and a lot of post-processing.
But a few weeks ago something happened that really shook me to my core. A former friend told me that I was a "talentless photographer" and continued to call me "a joke". This absolutely ruined my day and ran the threat of locking me in a closet for weeks and never picking up my camera again. After I cooled off (with the help of some loving and reassuring words from Matt) I realized something: talent is overrated anyways.
Not that I agree with this person that my photography has no talent, although who is to judge? Can talent be measured? It is a matter of opinion. The more important things are things that can be measured. Skill, practice, experience, knowledge. Talent doesn't tell you the correct flash compensation, shutter speed, or depth of field. Knowledge and practice do. Talent doesn't tell you where to position your subject to capture the most flattering light or which lens is best for which job, experience does. If this person would have told me "You have no knowledge of photography, no skill and no experience," I would not have been as upset. Because I KNOW that I have all of those things. Talent however... I do not know.
With access to cheap digital camera's these days, everyone can be a photographer. A lot of people start out like I did, young, with a new shiny camera and a fun editing program. Taking "creative" pictures and thinking that they must be a natural born photographer. But the truth is... it takes a lot more work than that. The camera is a complex machine, and photography in itself is 100x more complex. I have not even began to crumble away the tip of the iceberg in my learning... and I wonder if I ever will.
What does all this mean? Talent is overrated. Talent is a false sense of security and entitlement. Talent can only get you so far. And after talent has taken you as far as it can, it will abandon you in world full of people who have studied and practiced and earned themselves a place at the top. I don't plan on gliding through my career as a photographer with "hope". I plan on working as hard as I can so that I can feel confident in my work knowing that it was earned.
My mom might say that I was always a good reader and some people have told me that I have a pretty singing voice. I played soccer for eight years and I studied a lot about computer's in Jr. High. But I've never had a really great, stand out talent, and it has always made me feel pretty plain.
But then, about three years ago, I got my first digital camera. A Canon Rebel XT, a pretty nice camera for a 16 year old. I had always loved taking pictures of people and things, and even pre-visualized creative images in my head. So I started taking a lot of pictures... and I started getting a lot of compliments. I still never considered it a natural "talent". Even to this day, I feel like my photo's are always a lot of luck, and a lot of post-processing.
But a few weeks ago something happened that really shook me to my core. A former friend told me that I was a "talentless photographer" and continued to call me "a joke". This absolutely ruined my day and ran the threat of locking me in a closet for weeks and never picking up my camera again. After I cooled off (with the help of some loving and reassuring words from Matt) I realized something: talent is overrated anyways.
Not that I agree with this person that my photography has no talent, although who is to judge? Can talent be measured? It is a matter of opinion. The more important things are things that can be measured. Skill, practice, experience, knowledge. Talent doesn't tell you the correct flash compensation, shutter speed, or depth of field. Knowledge and practice do. Talent doesn't tell you where to position your subject to capture the most flattering light or which lens is best for which job, experience does. If this person would have told me "You have no knowledge of photography, no skill and no experience," I would not have been as upset. Because I KNOW that I have all of those things. Talent however... I do not know.
With access to cheap digital camera's these days, everyone can be a photographer. A lot of people start out like I did, young, with a new shiny camera and a fun editing program. Taking "creative" pictures and thinking that they must be a natural born photographer. But the truth is... it takes a lot more work than that. The camera is a complex machine, and photography in itself is 100x more complex. I have not even began to crumble away the tip of the iceberg in my learning... and I wonder if I ever will.
What does all this mean? Talent is overrated. Talent is a false sense of security and entitlement. Talent can only get you so far. And after talent has taken you as far as it can, it will abandon you in world full of people who have studied and practiced and earned themselves a place at the top. I don't plan on gliding through my career as a photographer with "hope". I plan on working as hard as I can so that I can feel confident in my work knowing that it was earned.