I needed this.
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:42 AM
Yesterday was an amazing day.
I was hired by a woman to photograph her grandson as a surprise Christmas present for her daughter, I have babysat this little boy in the past and know the family well. After about a month of waiting the rain finally ceased and we were able to spend the afternoon at the park, following him around, playing and snapping pictures.
I just have to say that this was such an amazing experiece to me, I can't even fully explain it. For the last year I've known that I want to be a photographer. I have spent hours and hours pouring through photographers websites, blogs, articles, and studying photography in depth through The Photography Institute course. I would read anything and everything I could find that would give me more insight into this business. And yesterday everything paid off. As I've been researching I've also acquired this new sense of doubt, wondering if I really have what it takes, wondering if I will be good enough. Sure I've taken great pictures of Makenna and Jacob, but could I really be... a professional?
I learned yesterday that I could. Even though this was my first real job I felt like I already knew what I was doing. I put those other photographers words in my own mouth (in a good way), used their strategies, and most of all, photographed on my own instinct, which I wasn't even sure I had. I realize all this is coming off extremely concieted, but that's not what I'm trying to convey. I am by no means an expert, and I still have a mountain of stuff to learn, but now I know that I can do it. I am capable of being a photographer.
To end a great shooting day I spent the afternoon retouching pictures, and ordering a photobook album for her to give to her daughter for Christmas. I can't post the pictures until after Christmas, just in case she reads this, but I am so happy with them.
Oh, and to top it all off, I got an e-mail requesting to shoot an elopement in Tofino this February. Nothing is confirmed yet, but needless to say, I am on cloud nine :)
I was hired by a woman to photograph her grandson as a surprise Christmas present for her daughter, I have babysat this little boy in the past and know the family well. After about a month of waiting the rain finally ceased and we were able to spend the afternoon at the park, following him around, playing and snapping pictures.
I just have to say that this was such an amazing experiece to me, I can't even fully explain it. For the last year I've known that I want to be a photographer. I have spent hours and hours pouring through photographers websites, blogs, articles, and studying photography in depth through The Photography Institute course. I would read anything and everything I could find that would give me more insight into this business. And yesterday everything paid off. As I've been researching I've also acquired this new sense of doubt, wondering if I really have what it takes, wondering if I will be good enough. Sure I've taken great pictures of Makenna and Jacob, but could I really be... a professional?
I learned yesterday that I could. Even though this was my first real job I felt like I already knew what I was doing. I put those other photographers words in my own mouth (in a good way), used their strategies, and most of all, photographed on my own instinct, which I wasn't even sure I had. I realize all this is coming off extremely concieted, but that's not what I'm trying to convey. I am by no means an expert, and I still have a mountain of stuff to learn, but now I know that I can do it. I am capable of being a photographer.
To end a great shooting day I spent the afternoon retouching pictures, and ordering a photobook album for her to give to her daughter for Christmas. I can't post the pictures until after Christmas, just in case she reads this, but I am so happy with them.
Oh, and to top it all off, I got an e-mail requesting to shoot an elopement in Tofino this February. Nothing is confirmed yet, but needless to say, I am on cloud nine :)