my favorite recipes
Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:12 PM
I've been meaning to post on here some recipes I've tried lately, so here are a few.
Glazed Turkey Burgers
I really like this recipe because turkey is way leaner than ground beef, but it can taste a little off sometimes. Mixing in everything with the meat and topping it off with the glaze gets rid of your "I'm eating a turkey burger" thoughts.
Glaze:
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp cherry, apricot, peach, or pineapple preserves (I did appricot and it was delicous)
Burgers:
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup quick rolling oats
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (I did relish here instead, it was good)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
To make the glaze, stir together mustard and preserves, set aside.
In a medium bowl combine egg, rolled oats, clery (or relish!), salt and pepper. Add ground turkey and mix well. Shape turkey into patties.
Grill patties directly over medium heat for 14-18 minutes, turning once halfway through. Brush both sides with glaze during last minute of grilling. (I topped mine with lettuce, tomato, and red onion, delicous!)

Chicken with Black Beans and Rice
This recipe has been one of my favorites since Matt and I got married. It's easy, and it is DELICIOUS. It's full of flavour and it's very hearty, and it makes an awesome lunch for the next day.
Chicken coating: (I usually just use shake and bake)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breasts)
Rice Mixture:
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatos, undrained
1 cup tomato juice (this is important)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice (I like to use the brown 10-minute rice)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion
Combine the chicken coating in a large bag (save 1/2 tsp of the chili powder though), add the chicken pieces and shake to coat.
In a large skillet brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 10 miutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside, discard drippings. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet, stirring until soft(the onions aren't actually in the recipe but it tastes way better with them), then add the remaining 1/2 tsp chili powder, the beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, rice, and cayenne pepper to the skillet, bring to boiling. Transfer rice mixture to a 3-puart rectangular baking dish. Arange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture.
Bake, uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is tender.
Those are all the recipes for today, maybe more later!
Glazed Turkey Burgers
I really like this recipe because turkey is way leaner than ground beef, but it can taste a little off sometimes. Mixing in everything with the meat and topping it off with the glaze gets rid of your "I'm eating a turkey burger" thoughts.
Glaze:
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp cherry, apricot, peach, or pineapple preserves (I did appricot and it was delicous)
Burgers:
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup quick rolling oats
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (I did relish here instead, it was good)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
To make the glaze, stir together mustard and preserves, set aside.
In a medium bowl combine egg, rolled oats, clery (or relish!), salt and pepper. Add ground turkey and mix well. Shape turkey into patties.
Grill patties directly over medium heat for 14-18 minutes, turning once halfway through. Brush both sides with glaze during last minute of grilling. (I topped mine with lettuce, tomato, and red onion, delicous!)

Chicken with Black Beans and Rice
This recipe has been one of my favorites since Matt and I got married. It's easy, and it is DELICIOUS. It's full of flavour and it's very hearty, and it makes an awesome lunch for the next day.
Chicken coating: (I usually just use shake and bake)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breasts)
Rice Mixture:
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatos, undrained
1 cup tomato juice (this is important)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice (I like to use the brown 10-minute rice)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion
Combine the chicken coating in a large bag (save 1/2 tsp of the chili powder though), add the chicken pieces and shake to coat.
In a large skillet brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 10 miutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside, discard drippings. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet, stirring until soft(the onions aren't actually in the recipe but it tastes way better with them), then add the remaining 1/2 tsp chili powder, the beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, rice, and cayenne pepper to the skillet, bring to boiling. Transfer rice mixture to a 3-puart rectangular baking dish. Arange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture.
Bake, uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is tender.
Those are all the recipes for today, maybe more later!