married people!
Friday, September 11, 2009 4:15 PM
Today as I lay out on my mother-in-laws hammock soaking up the sun, I pondered about the many aspects of marriage. I wondered what made Michelle's (my mother-in-law) relationship with her boyfriend work so much better than her previous marriage to Matt's father. They have been together for over 7 years, share a house, bills, and every other coupley responsiblity. But what makes them so happy, what makes their relationship work so well?
A few things came to my mind, although I can't say any of them for sure. Maybe their personalities are just more compatiable, maybe the fact that they're both in their forties with careers makes them more secure in themselves, they are always doing projects together around the house (they have put $60,000 into their house in rennovations in the last two years, most of the work done by them). They share lots of friendships with other people, they are very social and, in general, pretty well off in life.
So, married people, I want to hear what you have learned over the years about building a relationship. What makes your marriage work? Is it one simple thing? Is it many? I am very interested to hear what everyone has to say.
A few things came to my mind, although I can't say any of them for sure. Maybe their personalities are just more compatiable, maybe the fact that they're both in their forties with careers makes them more secure in themselves, they are always doing projects together around the house (they have put $60,000 into their house in rennovations in the last two years, most of the work done by them). They share lots of friendships with other people, they are very social and, in general, pretty well off in life.
So, married people, I want to hear what you have learned over the years about building a relationship. What makes your marriage work? Is it one simple thing? Is it many? I am very interested to hear what everyone has to say.