my job is...
Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:30 PM
MADNESS.
My job is not one of those jobs you walk into, say hi to everyone, get a life update, start doing some random tasks and maybe cleaning, NO. My job is like double dutch. When you're on, you jump in the ropes like a fool and hop around until you're off [or on a break], at which point you jump back out with the same enthusiasm as when you entered.
There's no moment of relaxation, boredom, or down time at my job.
Im not gonna lie, I love it. But also, it's just madness.
Today we had about 30 drink orders lined up on the bar waiting to be made. As Jon shouted orders over the 40+ people in our lobby and Ashley shouted them back, I felt like we were drowning. Slowly things started to fall apart. First the soy milk ran out.... then the 2%.... then 70 $10 gift cards... and I felt helpless.
But the thing is, we werent drowning, everyone kept their composure. All this to say, we are an incredible team. When you jump into the ropes there's already 4 other people doing the dutch and are anticipating helping you out. Everyone has their part, everyone focuses on their part, and somehow it all works out. The system is incredible.
I never thought it would be so hard to just take care of one part. When I see something that needs to be done I just want to rush over and help but I have to rememeber that I have my part of the system, and I need to take care of it.
I've never been involved in a team like this, and Im interested to see where else this will end up applying in my life. {say perhaps, a 12 member family?}
My job is not one of those jobs you walk into, say hi to everyone, get a life update, start doing some random tasks and maybe cleaning, NO. My job is like double dutch. When you're on, you jump in the ropes like a fool and hop around until you're off [or on a break], at which point you jump back out with the same enthusiasm as when you entered.
There's no moment of relaxation, boredom, or down time at my job.
Im not gonna lie, I love it. But also, it's just madness.
Today we had about 30 drink orders lined up on the bar waiting to be made. As Jon shouted orders over the 40+ people in our lobby and Ashley shouted them back, I felt like we were drowning. Slowly things started to fall apart. First the soy milk ran out.... then the 2%.... then 70 $10 gift cards... and I felt helpless.
But the thing is, we werent drowning, everyone kept their composure. All this to say, we are an incredible team. When you jump into the ropes there's already 4 other people doing the dutch and are anticipating helping you out. Everyone has their part, everyone focuses on their part, and somehow it all works out. The system is incredible.
I never thought it would be so hard to just take care of one part. When I see something that needs to be done I just want to rush over and help but I have to rememeber that I have my part of the system, and I need to take care of it.
I've never been involved in a team like this, and Im interested to see where else this will end up applying in my life. {say perhaps, a 12 member family?}