book #1
Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:36 PM
my goal this year [like from now until next October] is to read at least 5 books. I prefer reading fiction, if I find a good fiction book I really like, I will finish it off in a few days. It is harder for me to read self-help/"better yourself" Christian books, although some of these can be pretty cool. It's just hard for me to stay focused. so if anyone has good suggestions of fiction books, please let me know!
Right now I am reading "Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan

I enjoy this book so far, but I am still less than half way into it. The first few chapters have been different stories of Chinese women of various ages and their families. The stories range from childhood memories, arranged marriages, a death of a mother, but all seem to be strung together through a transperant tragedy. Im not sure how these different stories will connect, or if they even will, but Im looking forward to reading further.
This book is particularly interesting to me because I have never read nor learned anything about Chinese culture. I dont really have any Chinese friends or knowledge thereof. From what I can gather the families are [or were at least in the past] strict [which I kind of already knew] and based upon respect and honor. All of the women were brought up to bring a good name to their families, even if their family had completley abandoned them and set them up for an unhappy life. It's very interesting to read stories which are almost the exact opposite of the culture I live in.
Right now I am reading "Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan

I enjoy this book so far, but I am still less than half way into it. The first few chapters have been different stories of Chinese women of various ages and their families. The stories range from childhood memories, arranged marriages, a death of a mother, but all seem to be strung together through a transperant tragedy. Im not sure how these different stories will connect, or if they even will, but Im looking forward to reading further.
This book is particularly interesting to me because I have never read nor learned anything about Chinese culture. I dont really have any Chinese friends or knowledge thereof. From what I can gather the families are [or were at least in the past] strict [which I kind of already knew] and based upon respect and honor. All of the women were brought up to bring a good name to their families, even if their family had completley abandoned them and set them up for an unhappy life. It's very interesting to read stories which are almost the exact opposite of the culture I live in.