david crowder vs. justin
Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:21 PM
i've realized something:
when someone is talking to you, you listen to them as much as they're worth.
when I attended mars hill church last month I was so intrigued at pastor marc driscoll's sermon. I NEVER listen to sermons. but at mars hill my eyes never left the screen and I was hanging off of his every word. I wonder if my own pastor at my own church preached the EXACT same sermon if I would listen even half as much? probalby not. I know driscoll's reputation and I took full advantage of being able to listen to him speak. my own pastors however, I have almost completley disregarded their words completley. If I really try I can still dig up quite a bit of anger towards my senior pastors and keep hard feelings towards them. their past decisions lowers them in my mind.
am I more willing to listen to advice with open ears to one person than another? absolutley. I always listen to nikki when she gives me relationship advice, because she is very knowledgable and I know how her relationship with God and with jordan is. she is very smart and she has had a lot of experience in her relationship. molly, however, [no offense] has never had a relationship, or THE relationship that God has placed in her life so I almost always close my mind to what she has to say about matt and I. It's not really her fault she just doesnt know. I do listen to Molly when she talks about the bible, because I know she KNOWS the bible inside and out. she is very benefical to me in that way.
my point here is: what gives credit to someones word? their reputation? their history? their relationship to us?
am I someone worth listening to? do I convey a clear understanding of the things I speak about?
when someone is talking to you, you listen to them as much as they're worth.
when I attended mars hill church last month I was so intrigued at pastor marc driscoll's sermon. I NEVER listen to sermons. but at mars hill my eyes never left the screen and I was hanging off of his every word. I wonder if my own pastor at my own church preached the EXACT same sermon if I would listen even half as much? probalby not. I know driscoll's reputation and I took full advantage of being able to listen to him speak. my own pastors however, I have almost completley disregarded their words completley. If I really try I can still dig up quite a bit of anger towards my senior pastors and keep hard feelings towards them. their past decisions lowers them in my mind.
am I more willing to listen to advice with open ears to one person than another? absolutley. I always listen to nikki when she gives me relationship advice, because she is very knowledgable and I know how her relationship with God and with jordan is. she is very smart and she has had a lot of experience in her relationship. molly, however, [no offense] has never had a relationship, or THE relationship that God has placed in her life so I almost always close my mind to what she has to say about matt and I. It's not really her fault she just doesnt know. I do listen to Molly when she talks about the bible, because I know she KNOWS the bible inside and out. she is very benefical to me in that way.
my point here is: what gives credit to someones word? their reputation? their history? their relationship to us?
am I someone worth listening to? do I convey a clear understanding of the things I speak about?