so i must have learned something at treatment
Friday, February 24, 2006 12:09 AM
It really bugs me when people talk about drugs/drug addicts. Like doing drugs, ya know? When people (who basicly dont know what they're talking about) Talk or discuss about drug addicts, and they obviously dont know anything about addiction, it really just drives me nuts. Because they assume. Like, all drug addicts are just completely weird, creepy, gross, messed up, stupid, people. My dads a drug addict. My mom is a drug addict. My sister is a drug addict. And part of me wants to defend addicts, when people are blantly assuming about them. And be like, "Hey, do you really know anything about it? No. You dont. Knock it off." But then it's like.. why the hell am I sticking up for addicts, the hardest people on earth to deal with. I guess its right to stick up for them. They're not bad people, not AT ALL. They have a disease. A drug counselor one time just wouldnt accept that addiction was a disease (this confuses me, because I dont understand how he could be a drug counselor and just not know this) and was trying to find other means to explain addiction. He came to his group one day, and said, "I've got it, you're addicted to something, when you cant function normally without it." Well he thought that theory was going over pretty well, until one of his group members (drug addicts) walked across the circle and held two fingers to his temple. "If this was a 32 pistol, could you function normally?"
Exactly. He was shut down. Why? Because addiction IS a disease. People arent born bad, people are born innocent. You cant raise a non- addict. It's in them from the moment they are born. The disease is. Over and over this past year I have repeatedly thought to myself. 'My children, will not be drug addicts. I will raise them right, and strongly, and teach them not to do things that lead up to using drugs.' But do you really think that my mom and my dad, raised Lauren so that she would use drugs? Do I think my grandma (a drug counselor) and grandpa raised my dad to turn to drugs for his problems. No, they were just like every other parent who wanted the best for their baby. Divorce doesnt force kids to use drugs, depression isnt the reason for their addiction. I cant control what my dad's going to do. If I give him a hug tonight, tell him I love him and how much I need him, make him feel appreciated; is that what's keeping him sober? No. If it was, the moment I didnt do that, he would use. Thank God I cant control other people, only myself. Addiction is a strange and confusing thing, it sucks. Addicts are the hardest, most frustrating people you will ever have to deal with, let alone LIVE WITH. They're selfish, and they dont care, they only see themselves, their drug, and their past, never the future. They're the biggest liars, capable of anything. Unpredictable down to the second, and always fail you. They're addicts. And you dont know a damn thing about them. No addict is the same as the next. No addicts situation is the same as the guy on the street. But they all have something in common, they're judged.
Exactly. He was shut down. Why? Because addiction IS a disease. People arent born bad, people are born innocent. You cant raise a non- addict. It's in them from the moment they are born. The disease is. Over and over this past year I have repeatedly thought to myself. 'My children, will not be drug addicts. I will raise them right, and strongly, and teach them not to do things that lead up to using drugs.' But do you really think that my mom and my dad, raised Lauren so that she would use drugs? Do I think my grandma (a drug counselor) and grandpa raised my dad to turn to drugs for his problems. No, they were just like every other parent who wanted the best for their baby. Divorce doesnt force kids to use drugs, depression isnt the reason for their addiction. I cant control what my dad's going to do. If I give him a hug tonight, tell him I love him and how much I need him, make him feel appreciated; is that what's keeping him sober? No. If it was, the moment I didnt do that, he would use. Thank God I cant control other people, only myself. Addiction is a strange and confusing thing, it sucks. Addicts are the hardest, most frustrating people you will ever have to deal with, let alone LIVE WITH. They're selfish, and they dont care, they only see themselves, their drug, and their past, never the future. They're the biggest liars, capable of anything. Unpredictable down to the second, and always fail you. They're addicts. And you dont know a damn thing about them. No addict is the same as the next. No addicts situation is the same as the guy on the street. But they all have something in common, they're judged.